Sunday, December 14, 2008

Musings of a Mumbai taxi driver

Enroute the airport, my Sunday afternoon cab driver commented on a probable errant motorist caught by a traffic policeman on the opposite side of the road. "Vo dekhiye , that vehical will have to pay a Two Hundred Rupee fine Saab", he said, talking into his rear view mirror.

Readjusting focus from my reverie, cab-courtsey demanded that I ask him what he meant, and I did.

"Saab, Life has changed since the recent attacks on Mumbai. The policemen are not bothering taxiwalas that much for minor transgressions like wrong parking nowadays. Lagta hai ki things are really changing. I am quite taken by surprise that I have not been approached for a single Rupee in fine and neither have have I paid a paisa in bribes in the last 3 days", he recounted adding on its heels "And, I usually would reserve Fifty rupees for the policemen everday".

He further explained to me that the smallest bribe could become the reason for the biggest carnage. When we ignore the small bribes, the large ones become more acceptable he said in a typical Guru-like fashion. Without blaming the policemen, he came to their rescue with a commercial logic to stopping bribes; "Should'nt blame the police saab - In fact, I earn more than some of them", he continued, "The Government must see a direct logic incentivizing fine-collection by sharing some of the collections with the policemen, just like the railways does with its ticket-checkers. I would rather pay double to the Government than half as a bribe."

The ratioinale has always been clear to everyone, but when the Mumbai man-on-the-street uses such impeccable logic, I would say that Change is inevitable.

As the cab turned into the Mumbai domestic airport I saw another traffic policeman write out a reciept to a young woman in a car, who was paying her dues without a plea or argument. I smiled at the Guru-vachan , showing me evidence of Change at the traffic signal.

2 comments:

Meghna said...

Absolutely so true.. and it's happening everywhere.

Also, even though taxi drivers are my bete-noire, I have to admit that they do a great job of being the first ones to bring about change in such a time. I recently heard the account of a few cabbies who got a couple of suspicious-looking passengers to open their bags and get them checked. This is something that ordinary people like us would hesitate to do.

There is another point that a colleague made on the issue of traffic police and the fines and the bribes. There is no clarity on what one can be fined for and what the actual amount of the fine should be. The traffic police decide to confiscate the licence at every opportunity, for any offence and one is expected to collect it from the court the next day. People don't mind paying a fine but it is a bit too much to spend half a day chasing after your licence.

Perhaps it would help to bring about some clarity in these procedures.

Eagle eye said...

The thing is that we are so de-sensitized to everything that happens around us that we do not realize the 'domino' effect of our errant actions be it giving a bribe or running a red light.

I was taught years ago by my father that it better to slog and sleep peacefully than cheat and earn your pie. The truthful man will always remain even though he may be poor but the dishonest cheat will not be able to buy a minute of peace.

Thanks Mouli for describing this incident, it will bring hope to 'losers' like me who have refused to pay in 'black'.